Sunday, January 18, 2015

Did you mean: comet bleach?

Comet bleach! After Google asks if I made an error by searching for Comet Blecha, Ads for a cleaner with tough cleaning action pops up. If you continue down the list however, you will find site after site of my running past. Mile splits, high jump heights, and cross-country results that show accurate descriptions of my athletic aspect of my life. You'll even find my other academic achievements(NHS ect.) and Facebook account, but besides that I don't have much of an e-identity. When you scroll through Google images you won't find any actual pictures of me or things I was involved in (other than a few Prezis I have made in the past). Instead you'll find images of the Comet Lovejoy and other random pictures as well.

Other than these few facts posted about my life it shows that I don't have much of an online persona, which doesn't bother me. I like that in order to get more information about me you have to actually get to know me. While I do have a Facebook and Instagram, you need to friend me to see my profile and if I don't know you it's likely that I won't be hitting the accept button.

While searching for myself online I learned that although I am social and love the social media I have, I'm not really involved in keeping people updated with what I'm up to (other than Istagram posts). I rarely post statuses on Facebook to keep my friends updated because I know my friends I keep in contact with already know what's going on with me. I do post a lot of pictures to keep family updated, but also because I like adding to my profile. I don't know why our society is fixated on online profiles and opening up our lives for anyone to see, but I am guilty of it too.

4 comments:

  1. Before school began, you added me on Facebook, and the first thing I though was, "Comet is a cool name." The second thing I thought was, "She looks like the kind of person I would be friends with." Why did I think I would be friends with you? Like you said, not much of yourself is on the internet, and I didn't "creep" you. I just simply looked at your pictures, and through your pictures, I made that assumption. I guess a picture is worth a thousand words because we are friends! I didn't think I judged people based on their e-identity, but apparently I do. It is almost becoming second nature to us as humans to use social media as an outlet to find out more about people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I googled myself I too had pages of athletic results, some basketball and cross country and lots of soccer stats. Our empirical classifications are eerily similar to that of the health and financial standings of characters in Super Sad True Love Story. Strange to think that we, as people, can be summarized by numbers, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My own search results also turned up both athletic and academic data and like Grace said, it is strange that we are classified in this way. Numbers usually lead to rankings and it is really interesting that much of the internet focuses on competition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a little disappointing that for most people, the only things they find online that they themselves did not put there are the things other people value. For people our age this generally comes down to academic and athletic achievements. I think that while many people are proud of these sort of achievements, everyone has other things that they value just as much. If I were to suddenly die, my gpa and fastest mile time are on the lower of the spectrum of things I would want people to remember me for.

    ReplyDelete